Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Thor!

It's been nearly a decade since I bought a comic book, and for some reason the format is really appealing to me once again. At first I bought the, excellent, Bone One Volume Edition and I really loved it. Somehow, in the last week or so, I saw that there is a new volume of Thor starting, and that it's apperantly very good. I went out and picked up the first two issues and, lo and behold, the are really good! I never read Thor before, or the Avengers for that matter, back when I was into comics in my childhood. I was pretty strictly X-books until my midteens when I branched out to other things and eventually just stopped buying them. What attracted me to this book now, I don't know, but I'm glad I picked it up. The story (after some Wikipedia and Marvel site history lessons) is excellent so far and the visuals are great. Simply great. When Donald Blake steps out of his truck, I could feel the breeze and hear the footfalls in the dusty ground. Maybe it's from living in the midwest, I don't know, but I really connect with the small town he's chosen to live by. My biggest hope for the series is that the people of the small town will remain part of the story and not get lost in the grand over-arching stories. I subscribed to the series, and am eagerly awaiting Thor's confrontation with Iron Man. I never liked that guy anyway...

No comments: